Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Maryland Half Marathon-race recap & Dozer the dog!



13.1 miles in Howard County
 This was race #3 in a row of my crazy running plan. I wanted to go out and get my self a new PR given my legs were going to be ready and they had 2 races (Island to Island half & Fredrick Half) to get warmed up BUT...............I ran into this furry guy around mile 5 or 6. As you know I love my self a dog but this guy looked like he didn't belong in the middle of a sea of half marathons. He was trotting along the course acting like he was running with someone. I asked a few fellow runners do you know who's do? Is that your dog? and even Hey doesn't it seem like this dog got out of someones yard? Everyone that I asked sort of brushed it off and said he will go home or knows where he is. Really? I know if it was Milo I would be freaking out  and if was the owner of Dozer I would be worried. Well in Dozer's case his owners didn't know he broke out of the fence and joined a half marathon. I ran with him between miles 5 and 6 threw a neighborhood. I even at one point stopped to see if he would let me get him by the collar to walk him over to some people who were cheering the runners on at the end of there driveways. Dozer didn't like me trying to get his collar so he darted off and I lost him. My friend Kim in my running club was cheering some of us on and she later told me at the finish that she saw him around mile 9. This 4 legged guy was booking it. In fact he finished 10 minutes ahead of me. What the...............? I guess it was those 10 minutes that I was using to ask people, stop and pet him and talk to him that cost me those extra few minutes that that is OK. I enjoyed the course. The first 5 miles were killer! Rolling hills, back country roads and full off nice views. Last year it was in Baltimore County and next year it will be the same course. The race organizers said they will do 2 years in each county in the state of Maryland to bring the money spectators and runners bring into the city/county. Just another great reason to run this race.

Running buddy Dozer






Dozer got a medal for running the half marathon! what a good boy


Here is a little bit of info on the University of Maryland and the Cancer Center.

The University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center

The University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center is a nationally and internationally recognized leader in treating cancer, using a philosophy of integrated, multi-disciplinary approach to clinical care. Recognizing that a team approach is the most beneficial way to manage cancer, the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center has developed a multidisciplinary program for treating all stages of cancer.
The University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center (UMGCC) recently received a National Cancer Institute Designation in August 2008 and is listed among the Top 50 Cancer Programs in the United States by U.S. News and World Report!
UMGCC’s rich tradition of treatment, research, and education, combined with its continuing commitment to making patients its primary focus, gives the center its outstanding reputation across Maryland and throughout the United States and the world.
To visit the Cancer Center’s website, please visit:
www.umgcc.org



Kissing Milo when I got home because I was so happy he was HOME!





really good kids tent but most important this is where I got my free ice packs.
Mom and I enjoyed our free iced coffee that was a plus!


my HUGE medal!

see it glitter?

They not only gave us a great medal but a great shirt too. the state of Maryland is formed out of runner guys. So cute!
So all in all I was happy that I was able to finish 3 half's in 3 weeks! My legs are rather sore and I am so thankful my next race isn't until Zooma on June 5th. I need sometime off of racing. lol....


No comments:

Post a Comment